Monday, August 16, 2010

Everyone's got to start some where

Well, if you are reading this I either gave you the address and begged you to read it, you stumbled across it, or you were looking for something to read about Jeeps.  Regardless of how you ended up here I'd like to thank you for having a read and I hope you stop back to check in.

Let's start at the beginning.  Back in June after buying himself a new GSXR1000 my husband decided he would buy me a birthday present that couldn't be topped and told me to start looking for a Jeep I wanted.  I already knew the model and had a good idea of the year in mind and so I hit the internet running hoping to find SOMETHING we could afford that wouldn't be too much work.  In a matter of days I ran across a CJ5 in Big Bear, CA only about an hour and a half away.  She wasn't exactly what I was looking for, only had the 151 Iron Duke engine and I had my heart set on the strait 6.  However, when I got there and layed eyes on her and drove her I fell in Love.  And so Wyle E. came into my possesion.  I got her home and had to do a bit of work on her; new starter, alternator, motor mounts, some new wiring, nothing big or expensive and she was on the road.

So, here you will find me logging my adventures in my girl.  I drive her everyday and take her off road at least once a week.  So now we are gonna play catch up with this past weekend, pics, and video!

Sundays are now known to me as Suicide Sunday.  This is a day when I go do something new and let adventure find me so as to kill off the remnants of myself I may not want hanging around.  So, this past Sunday I packed up an "oh shit" bag, filled the gas tank and the Jerry can, and headed up into Joshua Tree National Park.  I decided to just do some recon on 4X4 trails and stick to the dirt roads not 4X4 designated.  I started out driving down to Queen Valley Mine (nice smooth dirt trails, but fantastic sceanery none the less) then looped back towards Keys view.  Ran across a dirt trail not on the map and decided WTH! and followed it.  this trail only went about 3 miles before it dead ended, but it was still worth the drive.  Headed back towards Keys View and got distracted by Lost Horse Mine.  This trail was a bit of a steep climb and a pretty windy way, I'm glad I didn't run into anyone coming the opposite direction as the sides were steep and I'm not sure how well we would have by passed each other.
After Lost Horse Mine I hit pavement again and rolled all the way up to Keys View where I talked to a ranger who gave me the low down on the 4X4 trails.  I was VERY dissapointed when I looked at the time and my fuel levals and realized it was time to head back to town, HOWEVER I am now fully prepared for next Sunday to run Geology Tour Road.  Come back to find out about it!

Taken a few weeks back behind the golf course in town.

1 comment:

  1. that was a awesome video, I got a 1971 jeep cj5, don't have any videos yet but hopefully soon, if your still up & runny would like to follow someone that knows some trails & the rules, back in my home state we had mud bogs 5000+people big trucks big tires, but now 29 is my home so it looks like trail riding rock climbing is the thing to do. p.s. the bigger the group the more fun it is, jmo

    ReplyDelete